Sunday, June 17, 2007

thailand - Green Papaya salad 1



I'm back from Thailand. Unfortunately, I don't have as many photos as I would like - I feel slightly more paranoid about my camera in Thailand because of all the people grabbing at me to get my attention and sell me something. Not as relaxing as I would have liked, but of course I had good food. Above you see some green papaya salad I bought on the street. This little beauty along with some sugary orange juice concoction from the cart next door cost me about 40 baht. This salad can be ok outside of Thailand, but never seems to be anything other than great in Thailand. The truly sublime stuff has crab meet along with the fiery chili, lots of lime, fish sauce, sweet tomatoes, peanuts, and the little brine shrimp that show up in so much Thai food. While this salad was great, it wasn't my favorite - they used the dry chili instead of my preferred fresh, and didn't have the crab. By the way, 2 things I learned in thai this trip: prik = chili and alloi = delicious. Mei (with a rising tone, i think) seems to be the question word, so to ask if something is delicious you say Alloi mei?

No comments: