Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Guo Tieh and suan la tang


When I first arrived here, this is something I ate quite a bit of, guo tieh (pot stickers) and suan la tang (hot and sour soup). It's ubiquitous and cheap here - there are several chains that sell it and many independent stands have it too. It's cheap, easy to find food, kind of like a hamburger in the usa. The food pictured is from a chain near my apartment. You can see the 2 sauces they give with it - a mildly spicy sauce and a semi sweet soy sauce. I seldom use them, preferring a mix of soy sauce, rice vinegar, and a dash of sesame oil. And I generally add something similar to my soup. I like the soup from this place because it has a pepperiness and a strong, smoky onion flavor - I notice at least one kind of green onion along with white onions and shallots. Like a lot of the hot and sour soup here, this has the congealed pig blood in it - basically a dark brown strip with the consistency of tofu and little flavor other than a vague iron-y-ness. Still, I don't love it and have to avoid thinking about it or even looking at it while I eat it.

No comments: