Sunday, June 17, 2007

Thai Chinese soup



Walking on this busy street I saw something that reminded me of Taiwan - a woman sitting in front of a big bowl of a pork green onion mixture making dumplings! Of course I haven't seen this yellow style in Taiwan, and the very yellow noodles are obviously made from the same dough. I'm curious about the Chinese in Thailand - these guys certainly looked more chinese than malay or thai, but different from the people in Taiwan. I wonder where most of them come from. I was also very aware of the number of Indians in Thailand on this trip. Apparently, they make up the bulk of the tourists, and there is a very large community in Bangkok and elsewhere.

The soup was wonderful with a rich pork broth, at least two kinds of onions, and cilantro. Along with the dumplings and noodles there was barbecued pork and rich greens (I may have added a little bit of chili as well). The white round is a slice of daikon, which I'm not the biggest fan of. But that didn't stop this from being a fantastic dinner (along with the tea, spring roll, and papaya salad I had already eaten.)

No comments: