Monday, June 04, 2007

shuei jiao and beijing tsong yo bing

This was my lunch today. Tsong yo bing is popular in taipei, but the taiwanese style is more of a flat pancake, filled with some kind of green onions and is usually very oily. This place near my work does something different - a coil of hollow bread, just a little crispy on the outside with a soft, slightly oily inside filled with chinese chives. It's really good - slightly salty with a good onion flavor. I like it with chili sauce or by itself. It's 30 Nt.

I also had shuei jiao (I'm not bothering with pinyin, just writing it like I think it sounds, btw) from the place I like near my work. These are the standard water dumplings, homemade with a pork mixture shoved in a wrapper of dough and boiled in a huge pot. The ground pork is mixed with green onions, and sometimes a little black pepper, ginger, and soy sauce. They usually throw some sesame oil on top before they serve it to keep it from sticking to the box. I usually dip it in a soysauce, rice vinegar mixture which adds a nice salty sour sweet flavor. It's 50 NT (maybe 1.75 us) so it's a bit pricey, but worth it.

2 comments:

C.B. Gaines said...

Tasty looking stuff there mon frere. Glad you've restarted the blog here...

canadian gardener said...

If anyone is interested in making tsong you bing at home, here is a great recipe with pictures.

http://chineserecipes1.googlepages.com/tsongyoubing%3Bonionpancake