Friday, September 12, 2008

More Vietnam


I'm going to try to put up some more before I forget it all.

A highpoint in Hanoi was the water puppets. I'm generally a big fan of puppets, and these puppets were especially cool, appearing and disappearing out of and into water. Lots of fire and squirting water too. They had all kinds of dragons, animals, boats, animals and elaborate moving sets. Also, the orchestra played great, sometimes chinese style music, and occasionally interacted with the puppets, talking to them and emphasizing their movements. Of course I didn't understand, but the stories were pretty simple and generally easy to understand from the action. It's a pity my camera isn't good enough to take good pictures in the dark (too far away for a flash) but you can get an idea from my photos. The one above is the stage.

No comments: