Friday, October 30, 2009

Thailand 1


When I got into Bangkok I was tired and cranky. I got off the plane (very small seats - the asian discount airline, but happily I was able to get a little sleep. Worrying that they had a sign by check in that said "we no longer allow guns aboard the airplane, with pictures of the guns they don't allow) and foolishly booked the first ride into Bangkok (4 times as expensive as my ride back from the hotel to the airport, and I gave that guy a tip!). Almost changed money there as well, but it was such a huge rip off I just couldn't accept it. Thankfully I still had a few baht from last time I was in Thailand. Got in to the hotel and felt tired, and pissed about the rip offs. Drank a few beers and watched soccer on TV which helped me relax a great deal. Had a good nights sleep. The room was ok - smelled a little of stale cigarette smoke, but basically clean and comfortable. Had a microwave and big fridge. I enjoyed the pool on the roof with a nice view of the neighborhood. It was very nice to have a bit more summer. I spent plenty of time up there, dipping in the pool and reading Fever Pitch. The location was excellent - 10 minute walk to the Taiwan consulate, and a free tuktuk type thing to the local MRT. Plus, it was located in a residential area away from all the sleaze and nearby lots of food stands and interesting places to walk. I was happy with it.

No comments: