Monday, October 05, 2009

sick and typhoon

This past weekend was the moon festival here, which traditionally means bbq's, pomelos, and moon cakes. And this time I actually partook of all three. We went to a bbq at RC's home, where I ate some cake, a piece of pomelo (I did wear the pomelo peel on my head at a certain point), and some bbq. Also drank some beer with RC's dad. Which wasn't really very bright. Since I was feeling sick. My fever got worse afterwards and I spent a long night sleeping fitfully and sweating. Spent all day yesterday taking it easy, skipping out the martial arts thing I was going to go see with Dan. Clearly I made the right choice since I felt better today. And that was good because this evening I worked 3 hours substituting at a school in Tucheng. I haven't taught it over a year, so I was a little nervous. It went Ok, I guess, though the school was very poorly run. No manager at the school, unclear lesson plans, teacher's assistants who don't do anything or actually even stay in the classroom. Kinda crazy, makes me appreciate Kojen or even the YMCA. I'm just a sub, so it doesn't really matter too much. Just a little annoying. A few moments of fun, but not as much fun as I would like to have with my work. Whatever. It's a paycheck. I enjoyed the cheap Paht Thai and Spicy sour kong xin cai I got from my local thai place afterwards. I'm looking forward to seeing Edward Yang's Yi Yi (A One and a Two) that I have waiting for me. Tonight might just involve watching TV show episodes (the last few Mad Men) that I haven't seen yet. And hopefully lots of sleep. It's very typhoon-y at the moment, which makes me sleepy. Not looking forward to the rainy-ness of winter here. I hope I can swing some kind of tropical vacation to take a break.

No comments: