Sunday, July 08, 2007

Mohinga!


This is the mohinga I get in the burmese neighborhood near the nan shi jao mrt station. You can't see all of the details, so let me explain. It is an incredibly rich and thick fish broth with sweet little onions, rice noodles, boiled eggs, cilantro, and a cracker made of deep fried yellow dal, which adds wonderful texture. The richness of the flavor comes from whatever else they do to the broth as they liquify some unknown fish. You can see some chili in the right hand pic - that went in there too. It's a great mix of south asian and southeast asian flavors, and is the national dish of Burma, or Myanmar, or whatever. I usually order some burmese tea, which is the same as thai tea (orange, spiced with some unidentified spice - I've heard tamarind seed - and mixed with condensed milk) as far as I can tell. These pics were taken last friday - I went with my friend Lyon. He ordered 2 bowls of mohinga to go, and told me he ate one for dinner and couldn't resist eating the second. And I'm not surprised - it's the kind of thing you will eat even if you aren't hungry.

No comments: