Sunday, July 22, 2007

My local fried rice



Fried rice is a pretty basic staple in chinese food. It's a good way to use up leftover rice and it tastes great. The place I get it here is always busy and always good. I think the key is a well seasoned wok on a very high flame. They bang the hell out of it too - Lots of banging and clanging as they stir the rice. The ingredients are fairly simple - you can see the one I get just has green onion, shrimp, and egg along with salt and possibly msg. But the high heat must carmelize the rice or some such thing as the flavor has a subtle smoky-ness. I always get some vegetable along with my rice - on this day it was fried cabbage, which they prepare simply with sweet, salty brine shrimp. Chili paste is involved and I get a delicious meal.

No comments: