Saturday, April 08, 2006

thailand journal entry

The landing in Bangkok was unpleasant - I experienced sharp shooting pain in my ear, like someone was jamming an ice pick into my head. Nice. I guess I'm getting sensitive to air pressure, just what I need. I felt pretty delirious when I arrived. I reserved a hotel and was ready to go when I realized I had forgotten to pick up my bags. I was really disoriented and had to get back in to the secure area, which took forever and was no fun, while a driver was already waiting for me. It took about an hour. I had already wasted time trying to get a visa that I didn't need. Note- travelling without a brain is not a good idea. That pain really wacked me. I stayed the night (or at least a few hours of it) in a hotel near the airport, then moved to a different, nicer hotel in the city. I spent the morning walking around the area, bought an arsenal cap, some dvds, and an amazing green papaya salad filled with all kinds of strange delicious things and fiery hot. The weather was sunny and beautiful in the 90's. It felt very good. In the evening I went to see Muay Thai and drank beer. I got back to the hotel, talked to Cindy and went to bed. Today I just hung out around the Siam center area looking at fancy malls, etc. and by the pool near my hotel. I will got home and get a massage and maybe some good food. (I ended up getting ok food at one of the seafood places where you pick the fish and they prepare it for you as you like.)

I slept well that night (after I watched a soccer game - they are constantly playing in Thailand) and left for Taiwan the next morning. It was nice to be back, but kind of sad too. Colder. But I enjoyed speaking Mandarin again. I had a melancholy afternoon unpacking, cleaning, and reminiscing.

No comments: