Thursday, April 06, 2006

india journal entry 3

1/1

Took the train for Puri from Calcutta last night. I was so exhausted I could barely stay upright long enough to get into the train. We (Kevin, Shastine, Norah, and I) sat in the busy Calcutta train station and ate some snacks I got while we waited. I got about 9 hours of sleep in the rugged sleeper car. It was cold and loud, but I was knocked out. I felt much better after having got about 20 minutes of sleep the night before. There was some challenge involved in finding our driver and getting to the guest house when we arrived in Puri, and of course we were besieged by taxi drivers and hotel buskers while we waited. We finally made it here and it's really nice - an old, charming building on the beach with high ceilings and a friendly staff who wait on us and make us delicious meals. We just got back from a walk and we saw the big local temple that we are not allowed to enter. We gave a guy 50 rupees to take us to the top of a roof so we could see the temple a little bit better. Lots of monkeys involved.

No comments: