Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Kao San revisited (more Thailand)



And so, feeling nostalgic for the good old days, and aware of C's recent facebook comment about the tuk tuk, I decided to take a tuk tuk to Kao San Road. I really hate the tuk tuks - always trying to rip you off, take you someplace you don't want to go. And the best you can do is always going to be about the same as a taxi ride, which would have air con, no rip offs, and a more comfortable, safe, clean air type ride. Anyway, it was for old time's sake. Got to Kao San Rd. which was always kinda sleazy, but the interesting things that excited me when I first went there had diminished. Fewer shady guest houses, fewer burnt out hippies, more fast food chains and boredom. The book "The Beach" which wrote about that scene and seemed recognizable from the experience I had there, will be a purely historical document for those in the future. And it made me a little sad, even if that thing was slightly horrible and definitely sleazy. I'm glad I got to experience it before it disappeared, I guess.

No comments: