Saturday, March 10, 2012

Pokhara 1





Pokhara was beautiful when I arrived. The sun was shining. It was quieter. The air was cleaner. I was really happy for the break. I wanted to arrange for a trip up a mountain to see the sunset. The owner of my hotel suggested I wait until morning and climb up to see the sunrise. So I spent the day walking around, relaxing, doing nothing.

The next day, when I woke up at 4 AM it was raining extremely hard. My hike up the hill was an awful slog through mud with a visibility of about 4 feet. I turned around early, and I was told that it had been raining every morning for weeks. I murdered the guy at the hotel in my mind, went back and bitched him out, and moved to another hotel. The rest of the rainy day I spent drinking masala tea and reading.

I discovered that I didn't have enough time for a real trek around the Himalayas. And there wasn't much to do. I rented an awful bike and took a quick trip around the town. Then I drank more tea. Without the option of the trek, it became clear that I needed to get back to Kathmandu early, so I changed my flight to go home after a few more days. They were primarily spent drinking tea and looking at rain. I also met this American engineer who was living in Shanghai, and it was kind of interesting to talk with him about his life there. The highlight of my time there was my trip to the barber (photos to follow).

No comments: