Saturday, March 24, 2012

back in Kathmandu

So I was back! The break did me good. The streets were still noisy and treacherous, but I felt happy to be back. I was energized. I stil had the 2 other medieval cities (Patan and Bhaktapur) to visit. I was back at my old hotel, and my new room was better than the 1st. I was considering a trip to the birthplace of the Buddha in Lumbini. I felt like walking. I did some light yoga to warm up and then as I was walking out of my room to eat breakfast...
snap.

My back was out. I was limping immediately. With no access to ice. I couldn't walk within a few hours. Trapped in the hotel room. No electricity for most of the day. Sweating on a bed. I got feverish and hallucinated. Eventually a doctor paid me a house-call and prescribed some tylenol for the pain. A hotel employee went to get it for me. Ironic that the pharmacy where they picked up the tylenol was on a corner where I had been offered every major drug only 5 days before. Heaven forbid you actually want a pain-killer that works! It must be saved for people to party with!

My trip to Lumpini was off. I started getting better on the third day, but that wasted time was awful. The hotel was nice enough to give me some water to drink and bring some food to my room, but I couldn't even eat a full meal each day. I tried to get a little bit down. But it was very irritating to spend my limited vacation in a situation far more stressful than work.

No comments: