Wednesday, October 15, 2008

sun moon lake 1


heh, that last post was stu-pid. oh well. So, now I'll write a bit about my trip to sun moon lake. 10/10 is a holiday in taiwan, considered the birth of their country. This was the day of the Wuchang uprising that led to the end of the Qing dynasty and beginning of the Republic of China. Anyway, for me it's a long weekend. And the only major tourist destination I haven't visited in Taiwan is Sun moon lake, so off I went.

I took the bus, which wasn't fun. Sun Moon Lake was the favorite destination for Chang Kai Shek, but I'm assuming he went by helicopter or chaufered limosine, which is different from sitting in an uncomfortable chair next to the bathroom for 6 1/2 hours. ugh. That trip really wiped me out, and by the time I got there, I just wanted to sleep. However, there were fireworks coming and a musical recital next to my hotel, so sleep was out of the question. I ate a mediocre dinner, then sat and drank a beer (heineken, yuk) while I waited for the fireworks to start at 9. 9 came and went with no fireworks. 930 came, and I went inside my room to use the bathroom. Then, boom! the fireworks started! I looked for my key, but couldn't find it. And about 15 seconds later the fireworks were done. I missed them all Wow, not too great. Anyway, at least I could sleep. I was out by 10.
Slept 10 hours or so and got up for a mediocre breakfast, then rented a scooter to ride around the lake. The scooter was a piece of junk (no horn, which I consider suicidal in a country where no one knows how to drive). but the weather was great, not too hot but sunny and clear. riding around the lake I saw temples and smelled bamboo, betel nut palms (which smell great, surprisingly), and clean air. the pic above was from a temple dedicated to students, with a big confucious statue and the red faced police man god who, apparently, was also an excellent student.

No comments: