Saturday, April 30, 2005

cool

This morning i got to look out my balcony as a parade turned around down below. VERY loud firecrackers, then the usual big drum and many gongs. Then tiger dancers, then 20 guys with 4 foot long horns that sounded low and strange. Then 3 paolanquins with incense burning in front and Gods inside. Some Gods are having a birthday. Everyone clasps their hands together (usually with incense in their hands) and bows as the Gods are carried by. Now it's gone and I can just hear the old Chinese songs played on the loudspeaker in my neighborhood. It has become hot, so the doors are closed and occasionally the AC is on. It is a beautiful sunny day. And I am hardly sick at all! I'm thinking of taking a trip to the beach sometime soon.

On the other hand, R. broke his ankle and isn't getting around very well. He will have surgery on tuesday, but until then he is trapped in the house, mostly on the couch in front of the tv. I don't envy him - being in pain and bored is really awful. His uncle in Taipei has checked up on him and brought him food a couple of times, which is nice.

No comments: