Sunday, April 10, 2005

actually...

i didn't sleep on grave sweeping day. i took an extremely twisty busride to a mountain town called jiu fen. The ride there almost made me throw up, but once i got there it was great. it was a beautiful day, and a holiday, so the place was packed. there was a main walk way, with vendors selling tea, mochi, and various other snacks and gew gaws. too crowded for me, but i enjoyed the tea and mochi samples, and i ate bbq'd cho dofu and trumpet mushrooms which were very delicious. i went down a side road and through a passageway that was about 5feet tall to a beautiful teashop filled with antiques, a koi pond, and strange chinese cats. It had an amazing view from which i could see the fog roll in off the ocean and get trapped in the valleys between myself and the water. my photos don't really do it justice, but if i was able to post photos i would (email me if you want one sent to your inbox). i sat there drinking tea and studying chinese until the sun got too low and made me leave. then i wandered around for a while until it started getting cool and dark. i was desperate for a taxi, but figuring out how to get one was beyond my chinese skills. the bus ride home was dreadful - i almost passed out. luckily, this girl offered me her seat and i spent the trip with my head between my legs trying not to throw up. oi. i was nauseous for the next few days, and only now has my head stopped spinning. i would like to go back, but i have to figure out a different way.

No comments: