Thursday, December 10, 2009

acting/modeling job in chang hua pt.2

At the end, I was supposed to give some kind of testimony to a girl playing a reporter. Since it didn't matter what I said, and no one there spoke English particularly well, I gave her a running commentary of the direction I was getting, with editorial response about why it was impossible or just a bad idea. Example :"He said don't move my head but use body language and now I feel like I can't move and I'm supposed to move this hand but not that hand and smile while seven people are yelling at me in two languages and I only had three hours sleep last night I wonder if I'm still smiling..." It was funny and needs a science fiction ending to the narrative of the commercial, I'm sure. As I left, the agent pointed out the owner's brand new BMW next to his brand new Mercedes, so I guess there is a market for orange mold.

I was happy to finally leave, it was dark already and we had a long trip. The cell phone was louder now, and the guy who really did nothing the whole time was singing along, but quietly so you could only hear him on the plosives, like "t" "s" "k" sounds. It was really annoying, and I started anticipating the next sound, which added to the annoyance factor. When Oksana got out halfway through the trip back (she lives in shinju) I realized he was just holding back out of the embarrassment of singing in front of a female, because he started singing louder. It reached a crescendo when Bon Jovi's it's my life song came on. A truly dreadful song, made worse by the tiny treble heavy speaker, augmented by chinese accented english sing along. And broken up by the coughing fits that came from this guy the entire trip back. The air was quite polluted at some points of the trip, and this guy smoked a lot, thankfully only on breaks. He would open the window for air, which just made it worse as the air was thick with dew and pollution, and the open window was doing weird things to the pressure in my ears. I was testing myself to see if I would crack and strangle this guy, but i'm happy to say i made it. yay me. After telling me they could drop me in Banchiao, they dropped me near an inconvenient MRT station on the far side of Taipei and I made it home 13 hours after I left. My pay, $2000 nt, about $65 us dollars. But it was kind of interesting and maybe they will give me another, better job next time since I did this one. I was going to meet richard last night, and that had to be cancelled, which was annoying. Oh well.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"For a relaxing time...make it a Suntory Time"

- N.